Friday, December 2, 2011

In the Quiet.

Yesterday I was part of an event created to bring awareness for World Aids Day. Everyone who participated was assigned a "time of death," after which we had to remain silent for the rest of the day. Honestly, I didn't think it would be that hard for me to refrain from talking, but boy was I wrong!

It wasn't required, but I also made a commitment to fast from Facebook and texting after my "time of death." Left with no voice for 13 hours, I found myself overwhelmed with a sense of loneliness. You know that saying, "you never know what you have until it's gone?" Yeah...that pretty much sums up my experience yesterday.

The silver lining:
Though not being able to speak was sometimes frustrating, it gave me the opportunity to listen. Unfortunately, I think we sometimes forget how to practice the art of listening. Yesterday several friends of mine, knowing that I wasn't able to speak, sat on the couch in my room and talked about their days/how they are doing. I had nothing to offer them but a listening ear, but that was just what they needed. I shall now add that to the list of reasons why I don't believe in coincidences.

No comments:

Post a Comment