Sunday, September 11, 2011

God Break America

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
My Facebook news feed has been filled with posts remembering and honoring the thousands of men and women who were lost that day. "God Bless America" is always a popular phrase on days like these, but I often wonder what would happen if we instead prayed, "God break America."

What would that even look like?

I strongly believe that true and heartfelt surrender begins with being completely broken and contrite in the presence of God--recognizing our sinful state, as well as God's omnipotence. Over the past few years, I have been slowly learning about brokenness before God. Am I where I need to be? Of course not, but I am striving toward a state of brokenness each and every day. Striving for brokenness? Yep! I am doing this because I know that God begins where we--our strength, patience, love, courage, endurance--end.

Praying for brokenness takes major guts. Who knows what may result.

Despite the unknown, this is my prayer: God, break America, but start with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment