Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ignorance is Bliss?


Facebook status on my newsfeed today: "why do people stand on the corner asking for money? I think their teachers in school made comments on their grade cards 'does not use time wisely.'"

My immediate reaction was anger, then it slowly faded into frustration, and now I am left heartbroken.

When did we lose love and respect for our fellow brothers and sisters?

Are those who are homeless and hungry and broken somehow not included in the command to "love one another?"

Comments such as the one mentioned above, as well as pictures like the one I posted leave me literally sick to my stomach. Sometimes my heartache even brings me to the point of tears. I pray for those who are so quick to judge those who are standing on the street asking for money. I pray that their eyes may be opened--that they would develop empathy for those who are not as fortunate as they. I pray also for myself, that I may never turn from an opportunity to be the hands and feet of Christ, that I may never hesitate to be love to those who have been labeled "unloveable." Before calling the homeless "lazy," "stupid," "bums," or "irresponsible," listen to their story. I know that you have probably heard this a million times, but they are people, too. They are someone's mother, father, daughter, son, brother, or sister. You have no idea what brought them to this place in their life unless you take the time to listen.

You are no better than they. They are made in the image of Christ, too. Never forget that.

Don't get me wrong, I am not telling you that every time you see someone begging for money you MUST give them money. I am just suggesting that instead of looking down at the sidewalk as you walk past them...make eye contact, smile, say hello, introduce yourself, LOVE THEM.






No comments:

Post a Comment